Mercury, you heard of it? And I’m not talking about the funky planet out in our solar system.
I’m talking about the potent neurotoxin that if ingested can cause serious psychological, neurological, immunological, and endocrine damage.The number one source of mercury pollution in the environment comes from about 600 coal-fueled power plants which provide half the United States with electricity while releasing 51 tons of mercury into the environment every year.
Second runner for environmental mercury pollution are dentists.
The Environmental Protection Agency reports that dental offices discharge approximately 3.7 tons of mercury each year!This is because 50% of your amalgam fillings or “silver fillings” are actually mercury. And sad thing thing is most people have no clue.
Mercury not only damages tooth structure but weakens them over time, but this is the least of your worries.
These “silver” fillings release colorless, tasteless, and odorless mercury vapors into your mouth when you eat or drink, about 15 micrograms of mercury per day. You then inhale these deadly vapors and mercury accumulates in your fatty tissues and vital organs like your brain and kidneys, infiltrating and damaging all of your body’s functioning systems.
Mercury free dentistry is on the rise, so the next time you need to pay the dentist a visit make sure they’re not putting a bunch of mercury in your mouth. And if you get a chance to replace your amalgam fillings, do so as soon as possible.
You’ll be glad you did.
All the best,
The Water Liberty Team
"Fillings Silver Colored". Mouth Healthy American Dental Association. Web. 17 Feb 2016.
"Mercury: How To Get This Lethal Poison Out Of Your Body", The Huffington Post. Web. 22 April 2010.